Where To See Whirling Dervishes in Cappadocia; The magnificent ritual whirling dervish show, which was established under the leadership of Mevlana, is one of the world-renowned elements of Turkish cultural history. You can also watch the world-famous whirling dervish performance in the magical atmosphere of Cappadocia. You can feel the warmth of Mevlana’s message of love that embraces all humanity in your heart.
You may be interested: 15 Activities You Should Do In Cappadocia
What is the Whirling Dervishes?
The whirling dervish show is performed by master whirling dervishes and Mevlevi musicians under the leadership of the whirling dervish. The sama show, which takes you on a mysterious journey into the past with its dance and costumes that contain deep symbolic meanings, offers an unforgettable and unique experience for you.
Whirling Dervishes (Mevlevi rites) are performed by 1 captain of the whirling dervishes, 5 whirling dervishes and 5 musicians. The sama show is 50 minutes and at the end of the show, there is a 10-minute slide show about the formation of the Fairy Chimneys and Cappadocia.
In order to contribute to the intelligibility of the performances, a booklet in different languages is given to the participants at the entrance. After the show, a special sherbet is served to the guests.
Sama Show Parts
Sama (or Sema) is a Sufi term that means the sufi turns ecstatic while listening to musical tunes.Sama ceremony consists of 7 parts. Each part has a different meaning:
- Part 1: It begins with a “ma’t” composed by Itrî, who praises the Prophet Muhammad, who represents divine love. This is called “Na’t-i Sharif”. To praise our Prophet means to praise all the Prophets before him and Allah, who created them all.
- Part 2: After this eulogy, a kudum blow is heard. This stroke represents Allah’s (CC) command in the creation of the universe “Kün=Be”. (Kur. Ker. S. 36/A:82)
- Part 3: In the third part, a reed nay is heard representing the “Nefha”, the Divine, which gives life to everything.
- Part 4: It is the reign of Sultan Veled. This is the circular march of whirling dervishes with a peşrev, saluting each other three times. It is the greeting of the hidden soul to the soul.
- Part 5: The Sama ceremony is the 4 Salam. By removing his black cardigan, the whirling dervish is born into reality symbolically. He represents a number by folding his arms, thus witnessing the oneness of Allah. He kisses Sheikh Efendi’s hand and gets permission to enter Sama. He starts Sama.
1. Greetings: It is the realization of a person’s being born into the truth with knowledge, of his Supreme Creator and of his own servitude.
2. Greetings: It is the feeling of admiration before Allah’s power by observing the order and grandeur of creation.
3. Greetings: It is the sacrifice of the mind to Love, with the feeling of admiration and gratitude turning into Love. This is complete surrender, it is a reunion with Allah, and the lover disappears!
4. Greetings: It is the man’s return to his duty in creation, to his servitude, by completing his spiritual journey and consenting to his destiny. Sheikh Efendi and the head of the Whirling Dervish also participate in this salutation. At this point, Whirling Dervishes is in the joy of believing in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Prophets in the Messenger of Âmener (Qur’an, Al-Baqara, verse 285). He is in the pleasure and understanding of the divine orders and the reasons of creation.
The magnificent ritual whirling dervish show, which was established under the leadership of Mevlana, is one of the world-renowned elements of Turkish cultural history. You can also watch the world-famous whirling dervish performance in the magical atmosphere of Cappadocia.
Where To See Whirling Dervishes in Cappadocia; The words of our Prophet, who defeated his ego and ego, “die before you die” and in the last verses of the Qur’an’s Fajr Surah 27, “O you who are satisfied and content, you are pleased with Him and he is pleased with you. “Return to your Lord! Enter the group of my pure servants! Enter my paradise with them!” He obeyed his orders and was overjoyed. Dedes and Dervishes, after the Sama Mukabala, silently retreat to their cells for meditation (meditation) without speaking to anyone.
- Part 6: In the 6th part of the Sama ceremony, especially “Mashrik is Allah’s, the Maghrib is Allah’s face wherever you turn, because Allah is the Guardian, the Knowledgeable” Al-Baqara S. 2, 115. Verse of the Qur’an is read. It continues with the recitation of the ‘an-ı Kerim.
- Part 7: In the 7th part, the Sama ceremony ends with a Fatiha recited for the souls of all Prophets, martyrs and all believers, and a prayer for the salvation of our state.
Content and Price of Whirling Dervish Show
The price of this show, which is performed in the evening and lasts for approximately 1 hour, varies between 25-35 €. The most known and admired whirling dervish shows in Cappadocia are held in the historical Saruhan Caravanserai and Dervish House.
Saruhan Caravanserai: +90 384 511 37 95
Dervish House: +90 384 343 20 80